In 2009, the Only The Brave Foundation partnered with Millennium Promise and embarked on its most ambitious project to date: the sustainable development of the Only The Brave Millennium Village of Dioro, in Mali.
The Millennium Villages Project applies a unique, integrated, innovative model to rural development, empowering communities to lift themselves out of extreme poverty with combined interventions in agriculture, education, health, infrastructure and business development.
The development is carried out with the active participation of the local community in every phase to ensure truly sustainable change, from planning to financing, building, managing and maintaining.
With specific interventions that provide real solutions, the Foundation is helping to bring concrete impact to the lives of the 20,000 people who live in the village of Dioro. The village has made important progress and is gaining the momentum it needs to escape the poverty trap.
Many interventions have already been implemented (like seeds and fertilizers have been distributed to boost agriculture, bed nets have been provided to every household to decrease malaria, and the following village structures have already been built or renovated: a new health clinic, a primary school with new classrooms, latrines for boys and girls, a community center, solar panels, a school kitchen).
Work is about to begin on the village’s – and the region’s –first secondary school for 600 students with dormitory.
Official website: www.millenniumvillages.org
- 20,000 people living in Dioro
- 20% increase in HIV testing
- 1 health clinic has been restructured and piped water sytem and a solar electricity systems installed
- 100$ provides a student WITH SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR ONE YEAR INCLUDING DESK, CHAIR, PENCILS, NOTEBOOK & BOOK BAG
- 17% reduction in malaria prevalence
- 600 STUDENTS WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO CONTINUE THEIR EDUCATION IN THE NEW SECONDARY SCHOOL