Here’s an update on APOPO’s work in Mozambique. The 15 HeroRATs sent to Maputo in August have adjusted to the new environment and are absolutely thriving in their new surroundings.
The HeroRATs have jumped right into training and have done so well that the Mozambique Demining Team has already submitted a request to the National Institute of Demining for accreditation. These HeroRATs are keen to get straight to work in the live operational field, so they can begin sniffing out mines and help improve the lives of the people in these local communities.
- 25,819 sputum samples evaluated TB by Detection Rats
- 3,860 new tuberculis cases potentially prevented in 2011
- 13,082 patients second-line screened by Detection Rats in 2011
- 386 Tubercolis-positive patients detected only by Detection Rats in 2011
- 300 square meters of land can be cleared in one hour with APOPO’s mine detection rats
- 2 million square meters cleared of mines in Tanzania, Mozambique and 9 other African countries